Sorry for the delay...
Hong Kong Weekend
In less than a week after returning home from a week in Kauai, we boarded another plane to Hong Kong for a weekend trip. The reason for going to Hong Kong, besides pure curiosity, is that one of Noa's med school buddies, John and his wife Angie happened to be visiting her parents (who currently reside in HK) there.
On our first day, John took us to a history museum. I'm so glad we did this, because I literally knew NOTHING about Hong Kong's history and it's relationship with China and other countries. Now, I at least feel like I have some background knowledge and understanding. Besides that, it was a pretty cool museum.
Noa and I stand in front of the boat display. Hong Kong's port trade began long ago with fishermen who lived on these boats.
Unfortunately, it poured our first day in Hong Kong (good day for the museum), so we had to battle the weather as we toured around. Here we were able to seek some shelter in this covered walkway. Noa and John fought to keep their umbrellas from turning inside out.
We also got to try out the subway system. The subway is easy to use, clean, and less complicated than the Tokyo train system. Although the names were sometimes hard to remember and some were just outright hilarious to me.
We stayed with Angie's parents who live on the campus of Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. Check out the view from their place!

On our second day there, Angie and John introduced us to these "healthy dessert" places. Basically, they use lots of mango and other fruits to make yummy concoctions. My favorite was cut up mango pieces in a mango puree with tiny tapioca pieces on the bottom. Yum! I ate about 3 of these in a course of 2 days.
I like the Terracotta Soldiers. One of the restaurants had some replicas and I had to get a photo.
We also went to a building with 9 floors of "mall."
That night we went out for a big dinner of Peking (Beijing) Duck. It was delicious! The best part was that our friend (and best man from our wedding), Herman, happened to be traveling to Hong Kong at the same time and joined us!
The chef preparing the duck.
The guys in front of Spring Deer Restaurant (highly recommended if you visit HK): John, Herman, and Noa.
The Olympic spirit was in town. They had all these characters set up along the water. I think they are adorable.
They had a display in which each character represents a sport. I liked the boxing panda.
Some skyline pictures:

And, lastly, the group: Noa, me, Angie, and John.

Looks like a fun trip! Hong Kong's skyline is really beautiful.
ReplyDeletewhoa, awesome trip!! i love the olympic spirit with the animals. super fun!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics Julie! Hong Kong looks really cool.
ReplyDeleteYum! I love mango..that dessert looks great!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you guys had a wonderful time. Boy, lots of travels for Team Juloa lately!! Love all the pics!
1- you look so tan julie!
ReplyDelete2-the mango dessert looks amazing
3-miss you guys