04 February 2009

Why I Won't be Following in my Mother's Footsteps (or Husband's, or Friend's....)

Isn't this a lovely playground?  It's called "the kindergarten park" at my school, since the four kindergarten classes share it each day.  Today as I was outside monitoring a couple of classes, one of my students jumped off a climbing ladder and landed on his head, consequently ripping it open.  My para brought the student to me, who was obviously crying and bleeding profusly.  As I was trying to calm him down, clean his wound, and keep blood from falling all over the classroom floor, I was able to catch a glimpse of the damage and he indeed had a pretty nasty head wound.  So, we headed over to the nurse's office.  She was still at lunch, so we went to the main school office and I had the student sit and hold a damp cloth to his head while we waited (he was much calmer at this point).  

As we waited, I realized that some of the office staff, including our brand new office clerk (who I had't yet met until this point) were talking to me and I wasn't able to take in what they were saying.  I also realized that I was sweating - a lot.  Then, the black spots started to appear in front of me.  I've passed out enough times in my life to realize it was about to happen again.  Thankfully, the nurse appeared a minute later and took my student to her office.  As soon as he was gone, I sat down and promply put me head between my knees.  So, picute this: I'm in the middle of the office with my head between my knees, the office staff is working around me, and parents and students are popping in to take care of business.  Nice, huh?  Thankfully, I was able to resume to work in about 5 minutes.

My mom is a nurse.
Noa is a doctor.
Jess is a nurse.
I think I'll stay in my current field.  It's just better that way.

One more pic: the scene of the crime:

9 comments:

  1. Isn't the ground there those semi-padded squares designed to prevent injury?

    Or are those little concrete monsters waiting to attack little body parts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious!! You certainly have to hold your own in Hampostle times, but you do a great job :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's a padded surface, but unfortunately, he hit a bar on the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. hope all is well. Be easy "J-Doll and Noa.

    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:47 PM

    Julie,
    Way to stop the bleeding. I'm glad you didn't pass out and become another scalp laceration victim.
    _______
    K-dawg,
    What is up??? Where are you these days? ATL?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great teacher you are waiting til after your student is taken care to almost pass out! My older son has fallen off one of these at his school. Thank goodness not cut or blood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Jules on your behalf, you are great with vomiting kids. Did he have to get stiches?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Julie it sounds like you were amazing under the pressure and held it together perfectly. You waited until after the crisis to be the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Noa,

    Just graduate college my man and working two jobs. one is a paid internship at a sports agency. the other one is at a local supermarket in ATL. Just moved back with my parents. Take care bud.

    ReplyDelete