26 September 2009

Japanese Pancakes

Ever wonder what a Japanese pancake looks like? Last weekend, we went to Okonomi Yaki Osino in American village and got to experience okonomi yaki, or Japanese pancakes, for ourselves.
To create these, our server mixed a concoction of what looked like cabbage, egg, cheese, and some other mystery ingredients in a bowl and then poured half the mixture onto our table skillet. Then, he added our choice of fillers. Finally, he topped it with the other half of the mixture.
They cooked like this for a few minutes and then were flipped.
We also grilled up some herbed chicken and veggies on the side. Here, Noa adds sauce to the top of my okonomi yaki.
Smile! I liked it!
Turns out my "pork" okonomi yaki wasn't just pork, but pork kimchi-flavor. KimUchi = kimchi. Ohhhh, now, I see......

This was the sign on our way out.
Here are the lights of downtown American village at night.
We couldn't resist stopping at Yogurtland for some dessert. Here are our cups of yogurt goodness.
I had to sneak in the Koala Yummies. They are too cute!

2 comments:

  1. I love Okoniomi Yaki!!! Oh how I miss Japanese food. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:34 PM

    You can make okononiyaki at home. you need okononiyaki sauce or tonkatsu sauce. that sauce is so tasty.

    ReplyDelete