09 July 2010

School Stuff

A Kindergarten teacher's reality is the accumulation of stuff.  In order to effectively run a well-managed classroom with appropriately themed (and fun) centers is to have materials at hand.  These materials, however, take up space.  Lots of space.

In a perfect world, I would end the school year by packing up all my school stuff in cabinets in my classroom.  Everything would be carefully organized, labeled and put away by subject, like this:

But, with the upcoming move, I obviously can't keep all my school stuff back in my classroom (sigh...).  The last two days of school were spent frantically sorting, packing, and loading stuff in the car and schlepping* all the stuff up to our apartment.  The past few weeks have been spent trying to reorganize and sort everything and pack it away into Rubbermaid containers for easy storage after our move.  Which means a room, our former guest room in fact, has transformed into a personal storage closet.



Some of the items included in this mess collection include:
- over 1,000 children's picture books
- 30 stuffed animals (we used these in the classroom as "reading pals")
- 25 CDs with children's music or teaching songs
- 20 floor puzzles
- 5 bins bursting with files (lesson plans, forms, activities, etc)
- 2 bean bags
- 1 treasure chest



Needless to say, we've had to put in a waiver for a larger shipping allowance.




*I gotta give credit where credit is due.  I did not do all the schlepping alone.   Mike and Jess, who were in town and my wonderful husband,  helped bring many of these items from the car to our apartment on the 6th floor.  Thanks, guys!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! That's what my basement looks like! I switched from a classroom to a interventionist for ESL students and have SO MUCH STUFF!!! You never know when you're going to need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachers need a extra room in the house just for the stuff!!! You are such a wonderful teacher to have all that stuff for the kids! WA will be lucky to have you as a teacher if you go that route!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa5:20 AM

    Ahh this was the blog I was waiting for! Oh those darn book labels... over a 1000, I believe it! Wish I was there to help. Great Memories working with ya!

    ReplyDelete