We've had many questions coming our way through e-mail, Facebook, and phone calls, so I thought I'd answer a few standard questions we've been getting through the blog.
Q: Where are you living now? Did you buy a house?
A: We are in the process of looking for a house to purchase and hope to make an offer on a house soon. In the meantime, we are living on base in a lodge (AKA a hotel) that allows dogs. No, it's not ideal, but we have cars that allow us to be independent, it's safe, furnished with internet access, and the base gym and shopping areas are just around the corner. Plus, we have maid service!
A: Yes! Noa began work at the Naval Hospital Bremerton in the Family Practice Department. Not only is he seeing patients, but he is also one of the staff attendings that teach and oversee the training of Family Practice residents. So far, he really likes it. Oh, and the hospital is really nice! It sits right off the water, so the atrium has an incredible view.
Q: What is Julie doing? Did she get a job teaching?
A: No, I'm not teaching this year (at least not full-time). There are several reasons for this. The main reason is that in order to get hired in Washington state, I need to change my teaching license from DoDDS to Washington. This involves some testing and other paperwork. School starts next week and we are still living in a hotel room with only a few belongings. So, I am in no way ready to take on the challenges of a new classroom, school, and district. However, I hope to either tutor, sub, or get a teaching job in the future.
In the meantime, I've managed to stay busy while Noa is at work. Most of my day is consumed with home searching, either online or with my realtor. Sometimes I visit houses or drive around town and scout out neighborhoods and recent listings. I've also taken the dogs to local dog parks (there's a new one nearby!) and trails, which has been really fun. I'm hoping to join some groups soon, such as a book club, Bible study, or spouse groups.
Q: Do you guys like your new state? Is it cold? Do you miss Okinawa?
A: So far we really like Washington state. Yes, it's much cooler here than Okinawa, but still lovely. We love seeing the mountains, especially Rainier. The trees here remind me of New England, but are MUCH, MUCH taller! There seems to be a lot to do, like hiking, kayaking, biking, and sightseeing all over the region. We are constantly amazed by the natural beauty surrounding us as we explore new roads or drive to a specific destination. And yes, we miss Okinawa. More than the island itself, we miss our friends, especially at this time of year when everyone is heading back to the island for the beginning of the school year.
Q: Any big travel plans coming up? Have you been to Seattle yet?
A: This might sound crazy, but we have not been to Seattle yet! It's just a ferry ride away, but we have been so busy with car-shopping, house-hunting, church-visiting, and getting settled that we haven't had a day to ride over and see the sights. We do hope to go soon. Other than that, we don't have any major trips lined up until October (Julie is heading to NE and we'll both be going to DC at the end of the month). We want to use these first few weeks to really get to know our new home and explore our immediate surroundings.
Can't wait to see you in DC! And thanks for the pictures, love seeing your new surroundings:) Rainier is uh-mazing!
ReplyDelete