05 February 2011

Sleek Shelves

We recieved our Florida shipment (all the rest of our stuff that was in storage for the past 4+ years) recently and as the packers left our home, we realized something right away.  Our home was being taken over by BOOKS!  We had piles and piles of them everywhere.  Initially, we went through the piles and weeded out what we could, but we just couldn't part with most of them.  We were still left with huge piles along the long wall of our living room.  I couldn't live like this.  It's hard enough not having furniture to fill a room, but now we had piles of books lining the walls.  Not cool.  I knew we needed shelves that could hold all of them, but wouldn't break the bank and still be somewhat stylish.  Our solution was to take a drive over to Ikea and snag a couple of these:
Originally we were thinking of getting the larger version of this shelf to place on against a large wall, but then Noa suggested getting two of these smaller versions and putting them along the half-walls in our large (and pretty empty) living room.  This is idea worked perfectly!  They almost look like built-ins.    


As you can see, I'm a big fan of arranging all those books in rainbow order.  I've always loved this trend.  It makes a shelf look so happy.


The other shelf has the books with brown, gray, black, and white spines.  I got to use some of my Okinawa and China treasures on this shelf (well, at least have them decorating a space instead of sitting on the floor).  Please excuse the empty frame and the stuff next to the shelf.  It's a work in progress.  I'm sure I'll be changing the decor over and over again.


I'm happy that all our books now have a place to call home!  And, now our living room finally has a couple of pieces of furniture.  Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment