Yesterday, Noa sold one of our cars. Our '95 Geo Prizm held a lot of memories and I found myself teary-eyed as Noa signed over the papers to the new owner. Thinking back, I remember some of the great times with the car. My grandfather helped purchase the car for me the summer before my sophomore year of college. I used the car to get me to and from my teaching internship, dug it out of snow many, many times, replaced the tires far too often due to puncture holes (thanks to the lovely condition of New England roads), drove it with my dad to Florida, picked up our first puppy, and shuttled many Christmas trees to our place with the Prizm. The car will definitely be missed.
Now we are focused on selling our newer car, a Honda Civic, by the end of the month. Although it doesn't carry as many memories, I'm sure I'll be teary-eyed again. Now thinking about it, I realize that I was probably a bit emotional because I haven't really dealt with the products of the move. Although I know the move is imminent, I don't really face the results in the face and deal with the flood of emotions that come with them. We've moved out of our place, we're selling our cars, found a temporary home for the dogs, and are currently living out of suitcases - all this because we are moving to Japan. Japan!! It almost doesn't feel real, but it's going to happen and it's going to happen soon. Instead, I get caught up in taking care of the the things that need to get accomplished, such as packing or taking care of important paperwork, and avoid the feelings that go along with the reason for doing so. I know that what to do is deal with all of the aspects of the move. People move all the time and military families move overseas quite frequently, so it's not like it'll be the end of the world if I get sad and exited at the same time. I know that I can face this challenge head on! I am moving to Japan and I will face the flood of emotions that come with that.
Well... maybe tomorrow.
In the meantime, know anyone who wants to buy a Honda Civic??

Sounds totally normal (in Jessica-world). I was doing great until we were on the plane leaving my parents house. I cried like a baby knowing I wouldn't see my dad or my best friend for over three years. The second major breakdown was when we landed in Okinawa and were driven through the concrete jungle/neon forest that is the main road here. See, I'm totally embarrassing myself to make you feel better. :) Best of luck selling your car!
ReplyDeleteBut I don't WANT you to move to Japan.......
ReplyDeleteHi Julie,
ReplyDeleteWe might be seriously interested in your Honda Civic! We are getting excited about our upcoming move to Jax. Enjoy your vacation and we'll look forward to meeting you when you arrive in Okinawa!
Seriously, I almost cried when I read this, I don't want you to go either! But know that you are so strong and that you can face Japan head on. You will adapt and be speaking Japanese in no time.
ReplyDelete