09 September 2007

Okinapa and Eyeballs

This weekend was the semi-annual Okinapa event here in Okinawa. It's a wine tasting event held at one of the Officer Clubs with music, food, and an array of wines. We went last year not knowing too many folks since we were new to the island. This year, however, we had our own crew with which to socialize.
Overall, the wine was good, the food was tasty, but really I'm just happy to get dressed up and have a night to spend with good friends. I did manage to get a few shots of some of the friends there that night (sadly, I didn't get to get a photo of Megs, but she was there too, as were some of my teacher friends from Kinser).

The Guys:


The Girls:

The following day, I developed some sort of allergic reaction to my eye makeup from the previous night* and woke up to some seriously swollen eyelids! It looked like I had been punched in the eye(think of the scene in Hitch when he eats shellfish and has a reaction - it was the same thing, but just on my eyes). However, our fridge and cupboards were very empty and Noa and I simply HAD to make a commissary run regardless of my "golf ball eyes." So, I stuck on my sunglasses at 5:00 pm on a rainy day and headed into the commissary with Noa. I played the diva role and acted like everything was perfectly normal - I even ran into a friend from church! I continued to wear them into the shoppette and Taco Bell. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but it was necessary. Sorry, but I didn't take a picture. I was too focused on trying to reduce the swelling and then coming up with a plan to hide the scary sight.

Today, they are still slightly puffy, but almost back to normal.

*Yes, I did take off my makeup upon returning home that evening(for those of you who were wondering).

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I love your red dress...am getting ready to wear mine this week to a friend's wedding in DC!!

    Can't wait to see you guys - only 2 more months, can you believe it??

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete