A lot has happened in a little over a week.
Noa threw me a surprise birthday party at my favorite restaurant!
As you can see, I was completely surprised! My birthday isn't until this week, so I had no idea a party was in the works.
My friends really know me - I think most of the cards had dogs on them which made me smile.
Since it was my birthday, I got to be included in the guy photo. From (L - R) Perry, Joe, Tom, Noa, Kent, Kenny, Allen, and Sean.
Here are the ladies: Emily, Laura, Tritia, Sara, Me (yes, I'm in the back, trying to look tall on a chair), Amanda, MaryAnn, Beth, and Jennifer.
Dinner was followed by some crazy karaoke at the Big Echo. As always, it was a blast!
I was Noa's back up rapper.
I have no idea what it going on here, but apparently I'm really loving this song.
The girls ham it up - probably with the Abba medley.
I think Noa and Jay were singing their rendition of U2's "One."
Karaoke was followed by cake. Yum!
We had another reason to celebrate - Team Juloa celebrated 8 years of marriage this past Tuesday. With all that's been going on around here, we simply celebrated at home.
On Wednesday, the girls got their toes done at Cocok's for a little pampering. Here's a group shot.
Here's an up-close shot of my toe. I went with an ocean scene. It took a little getting used to, but it's so cute!
Speaking of fish, with the school year ending this week, we acquired some new house guests. And yes, I left on the classroom sign that says "fish." It's one less thing I'll have to label in the fall.
As usual, I worked my tail off during the last days of school, but I'm already feeling ready for next year with how everything has been packed, sorted and organized for the summer. Check out the result of all my work. Organized shelves! Labeled bins! It makes me happy!
We've had to say good-bye to a lot of friends lately. It started with Joe, who's moving back to the states. We hated to see him go. We've been friends since day one in Okinawa.
Then, we had to say good-bye to the Yosts and Scherdens. Both families will head to Germany for new teaching assignments with DoDDs in the fall. They have been like family for us, so it was extremely hard to say good-bye (yes, there were lots of tears). But, our last couple of days together in Okinawa were great.
Grace and Noa share a moment at lunch.
The girls (and little Milo) at Freshness Burger in American Village.
Me with the baby girls, Grace and Ella. I can't wait to see them in Germany some day when they have grown and become best buds.
Grace models my sunglasses. After shopping with her and Emily, I've learned that she's quite a little diva.
Jay and Noa share one last beer in Oki.
Laura introduced me to Baskin Robbins "Daiquiri Ice" flavor. It tastes like a sweet tart!
The group on the last night together (sad...). In the back are Sean, Liz, Jason, Ella, Tom, and Lauara. In the front are Tritia, Emily, Grace, Kenny, Amanda, me, Noa, Allen, and MaryAnn.

We'll miss you, Scherdens and Yosts!
Happy Birthday and Anniversary! Looks like lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteSorry that there are so many good-byes right now. But can I just say - I LOVE those shelves! Please, please, please come to my house and do the same thing!!
ReplyDeleteI don't even know where to start and could really leave paragraphs and more paragraphs of blog comment material in response to this emotionally charged blog submission...and maybe I will in the near future...but for now I will just say this...that ABBA medley went on....forever! Am I right fellas?
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Happy Birthday (early) and Anniversary (late) and so sorry to know that you had to say bye to all your bestest this week. Hard week! Hope you guys are getting some rest now that school is out though!!
ReplyDeletewow. That was an intense blog. I know it's rough when lots of your good friends leave, but it looks like you all had loads of fun together before they had to go.
ReplyDeleteLoved the pictures! Lots to comment, but I'll keep it short.
Noa & Ju rapping: funny stuff. Is there video footage of that?
Noa & Ju with candles on cake: One of my favs! Is Noa meditating? Is Ju in awe of the flames? Don't know, but I love your expressions.
Great normal pic of J & N!
Love the toes, of course.
Shelves pic: I shed many tears of joy. Beautiful.
Noa & Grace: adorable.
Ju, now that your friends have gone you have time to reupholster the chair.
Happy birthday and happy anniversary! Looks like lots of fun celebrating! Speaking of moving on, shouldn't you guys be wrapping up your time in Oki (I can't BELEIVE we've been gone for three years)? Or did you extend? Any ideas where you are headed next?
ReplyDeletewow! lots going on! happy birthday, looks like the party was a blast! and congrats on 8 years...that is amazing guys, so happy for you!
ReplyDeletelove and miss you both!
Happy late anniversary and early birthday! I LOVE the picture of you guys...you look amazing!
ReplyDeleteSee you soon!
Jessica-
ReplyDeleteSince we've enjoyed our time here and developed such great friends, we decided to extend a year. I guess that's the irony of the situation - we decided to stay longer and then the friends get orders to leave. But, I'm trying to stay positive by knowing that we have one more year to explore the island together. We'll be moving to a mystery location next summer. We're keeping our fingers crossed for Washington state. Thanks for reading the blog!
-Julie
Cool that you've got one more year! More time for me to live vicariously (your favorite restaurant looks SOOO YUMMY!) and reminisce. ;) I remember all to well the pain of friends leaving, luckily there are always some great people coming too! If you do end up coming to WA we'll have to get together.
ReplyDeleteOK, we tried and tried and tried, BUT you didn't answer your phone
ReplyDeleteso we gave up and went to bed.
By the way, you look very motherly with 2 little kids on your lap...(hint,hint)
And most importantly,I wish for you a very Happy Birthday! It looks like you had quite a good start.
love mom