We had a unique opportunity come up recently. For a hospital/Oakleaf (spouse's club) fundraiser, we volunteered our time to work at a concessions stand at Qwest Field, where the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders play. The hospital runs a food stand on the club level and a portion of the profits are then used towards hospital events, charities, etc. The food stand is run mainly by volunteers from the hospital, although the chefs are employees. Here are the newest recruits: us!
Our stand's specialty was Chinese-style dishes, such as kung-pao chicken and ginger beef, but we also had typical stadium food such as hot dogs, pretzels, and ice cream. I (Julie) was given the job of running one of the registers, while Noa was a runner (a go-between for the chefs and cashiers). The job got to be pretty intense and fast-paced, considering that the crowds stayed steady throughout the night and then swarmed the stand before the game and during half-time. Thankfully we had a lot of help from the regulars, who volunteer at the stand for every game.
Pictured above (L - R): Burns (a regular volunteer, me, Sharon (spouse), Julie (spouse), and "Shreck" (another regular volunteer - he goes by his last name).
Probably one of my favorite events of the night was learning how to pour beer from a tap. This might sound silly, but I was terrible at it. Seriously, there would be more head in the cup than beer! It was pretty pathetic. Thankfully, Burns and Shreck were determined to teach me how to get it right and after spilling beer everywhere by the end of the night, I was pouring like a pro!
Initially we expected to be released from our volunteer duties after half time, but we were so busy that we only got to catch the very end of the game. Still, the end of the 4th quarter was pretty exciting, considering that the Seahawks not only defeated the Rams in a 16-6 victory, but also clinched a playoff spot! The fans were crazy happy!
On the way out of the stadium, there was much revelry and cheering from all the fans. There was a marching band outside and SEA-HAWKS cheers coming from all directions (even on the ferry ride home). Unfortunately, it's predicted that the Seahawks won't get too far in the playoffs (they are playing the New Orleans Saints next week, who are 11-5 this season, which is way more impressive than the Hawks 7-9 record).
The atmosphere was extremely fun and energetic and I'm so glad we got to be a part of it. Also, our work was part of something that contributes to a good cause. Bonus: I'm thrilled that I can pour beer like a pro. So all around, I'd say it was a good night and a great game.
Go Hawks!*
*Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, we are still Boston fans at heart and we will always cheer on our New England Patriots, who are 14-2 this season and are also in the playoffs. I guess you could say the Seahawks are now another team to cheer for and second in our book. :)
Go Hawks!*
*Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, we are still Boston fans at heart and we will always cheer on our New England Patriots, who are 14-2 this season and are also in the playoffs. I guess you could say the Seahawks are now another team to cheer for and second in our book. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment