09 July 2012

At Last!

This might not seem like a blog-worthy event, but for those of you who have visited my house, you will understand why I HAD to put this on the blog.  

Big news here: we got a rug for the living room.  FINALLY!  I had put our smaller, striped rug in there temporarily when we moved in.  I like that rug - in fact we bought and brought it back from Japan - but,  I did not like it the striped rug in the living room.  Whenever people came over, I felt like I had to explain that the rug wasn't a permanent piece.  It just looked so wrong to me.  First of all, it was much too small and didn't really "ground" the furniture.  Secondly, it's very thin.  With Ruby soon-to-be crawling and spending lots of time playing on the floor, I really wanted something thick and plush.  I knew that it would be better for when she takes those early tumbles.  A few months ago I was certain that I'd be purchasing FLOR tiles for the space. They seemed like the logical choice with the easy care and simplicity to just replace a tile should a stain get too tough to tackle.  But, something was holding me back - possible deciding on a color or design.  There are simply too many choices and I couldn't make up my mind.  Plus, the price had to be right and some of the designs I like made the cost too steep.  And I wasn't so sure that I'd be happy with the thickness.  I just felt held back on the decision, but I still hated having the striped rug in there.

This past weekend we were shopping at Costco, where I spotted some large (I was looking for an 8' x 10" size) rugs.  There were not a lot of color choices: brown/gray, cream, and linen (cream/tan).  After checking them out and talking about it with Noa, we decided to buy the linen one.  I'm so glad we did!  It fits perfectly and is super plush.  Both Ruby and the dogs seem to like it so far.  In fact, after I rolled it out, both IGs laid out on it as I was trying to center it in the room.  Thanks for the stamp of approval, dogs!

Anyway, I love it.  So far, it's a good buy.  Plus, if it does get destroyed over the course of 2 - 3 years, the price was right and I'll feel like we got our money's worth.

 Please excuse the random placement of the cream-colored ottoman; I was trying to smooth down a wrinkle.


And here's the old rug in it's new location:


No comments:

Post a Comment