13 October 2014

Moving Day!

Our move in day was exciting.  I had trouble sleeping the night before since Noa was working, Mila was up all night (again, thank you, Mila) and I knew that I had to get to the house in the morning before the movers.  That entailed getting the girls dropped off at the on-base daycare center and driving to the house.  This doesn't seem like a big deal as I type it out, but I had to do all this by myself, in a still somewhat unfamiliar area.  I was a little nervous about actually getting into our new driveway, as it's a pretty narrow entrance, and turning off the alarm system correctly.  Plus, mornings with the kiddos can be a precarious situation: you never really know what you're gonna get.

Thankfully, the girls were pretty good at drop off and I was able to pull into the driveway without taking out a mirror and I even got there in time to see the moving truck pull up.  I may have done a little happy dance in the car as all this unfolded. 

I wasn't quite sure what to expect at first even though I've done these moves before.  I find that every move is a little different.  The moving company sent a large crew (which, apparently is typical of this company), probably the largest we've had.  There were seven guys, including the foreman.  We did a quick tour of the property and then the guys started unloading the trucks right away.  My job was to double check the numbers on the boxes as they exited the truck and Noa (who showed up soon after me) helped direct the movers to the appropriate rooms and make sure things arrived in satisfactory condition.  We didn't have them unpack every box since we were still unsure where we were putting all the smaller items.  It was quite a production and I'm thankful that we had childcare for the girls since there was a lot going on.

We got a few photos from this chaotic day.  Here's a little glimpse of our moving day:


There were two main trucks, although not all the crates were ours.

Here I am checking numbers and helping direct.  And just for a general perspective, I'm standing in our "driveway" and that is our gate (garage door) that is open behind me.


How many guys does it take to assemble an Ikea kids' play kitchen WITHOUT directions?  I spy three. 


They ended up doing a great job.  They also assembled Ruby's train table, our bed frames, a couple of shelves, and the crib.

At one point, Noa went to the store to grab drinks and snacks for everyone.  I had to take a photo of these gems: ham (the serrano kind they have here) flavored Pringles!  They actually weren't too bad.


Kitchen chaos.  It's gotten better, but we are still trying to figure out how to best organize our kitchen.  This is also a better picture showing the actual kitchen space since I didn't get a good one before.  You can see the washing machine to the left.  I am standing by the kitchen table (our landlord kept it in the house for us) and I'm looking out to the open area.  Those cut-out windows look into the dining room and living room.  It looks like the room is wallpapered, but it's actually tiled all the way up to the orange part of the wall.


After the movers finished, we picked up the girls from daycare and brought them to their new house.  Ruby had a blast reuniting with her toys.  Noa took a pic through the wall cut-out of the business in the living room afterwards.  You can't tell from this pic, but there are a ton of boxes just to the right of this window.



No comments:

Post a Comment