21 February 2006

Furkids

Many of my friends know a lot about my dog Sadie, since we've had her for almost 3 years now (she'll be 3 in May), but Gunnar, our puppy is only known by many through online pictures. Gunnar will turn one at the end of June, but he is still very much a puppy. It has been a trying year learning how to train this little guys who is Sadie's complete opposite. She is sweet, loves attention (especially by the boys), and quite a little snuggler. He is a rambunctious ball of energy, a mamma's boy, a shredding machine, who recently learned how to lift his leg (not a good thing, since they are paper trained for the indoors!). He also seems to have a flatulence problem at times, which doesn't help keep our friends around. Although we got Gunnar to be Sadie's buddy, she was resistant to him upon his arrival. Things between the two of them have gotten better; we now catch them curled up in little balls, sleeping next to each other on the big chair in the living room. Still, there are times of sibling rivalry - one of them always wants what the other has, but that's to be expected.

Gunnar's most recent pursuits in testing the limits is paper shredding. This started with him walking into the office and pulling out a paper from the trash can or a bag and running with wild fury into the living room and shredding the malicious paper to pieces. It was actually pretty funny most times to see him get so fired up over an innocent piece of paper. Well, that behavior has escalated to toilet paper and paper towel shredding. We have to keep all our bathroom doors closed because IGs love to grab hold of the end of a roll of t.p. and run as fast as they can through the house. Today I was doing some cleaning in our bedroom/bathroom and had a roll of paper towels on hand. I stepped out of the room momentarily to talk to my friend on the phone and I returned to find that Gunnar had redecorated during the few minutes I was out of the room.


I don't get upset when these incidents happen - it was my fault for leaving the paper towels unguarded and to be honest, Gunnar probably had a blast creating such a scene for me to find. The scene reminded me of our first v-day here in which Sadie "redecorated" our living room using the roses Noa brought me for the holiday. Thankfully, I was able to see the humor in that incident too.

This weekend Jess and I took both the dogs to a pet expo in Jax that was hosted by the Humane Society. I wanted to post pics of the event and the many dogs that I wanted to take home (one of which was a great dane!!), but my computer has decided to be difficult lately and not let me use the picture sharing program I usually use. So, the photos are in Jess' computer for now and I will have to wait on that one (although I think she blogged about it). Theses pet events are absolute heaven for me considering my passion for all things canine. In two weeks, I'm headed to Jekyl Island with some IG buddies for a fundraiser weekend for retired racing greyhounds. I'm praying for beautiful weather considering it will be on the beach. The weekend's past expo got me excited for this upcoming trip, called Sandy Paws, since I talked to one vendor who will be there with his hounds.

You can bet I'll have a lot to blog about that one! Until then, I'd better go clean up Gunnar's creation and check all the bathroom doors.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Gabe (to all pet lovers read: my human toddler son) and Gunner could totally destroy a room together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paper towel pile is hilarious...and I'm sure as fun to play in for Gunnar as a pile of freshly raked leaves is for a child!! You gotta love him though, because afterwards he just looks at you so cute.

    And have you seen a crate around anywhere? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud that this happened in real time for me...although I'm sure you aren't.

    ReplyDelete