20 April 2006

Vet Rant

I took Gunnar in to the vet today to get his allergy testing done. The process is pretty simple actually. The vet draws some blood and sends it to a lab. The lab does the actual testing and then sends the results back to the vet. Here's why it wasn't such a good visit:

-The vet was unfriendly. Here's the deal with the vet: we go to a low-cost clinic that is associated with our local humane society. Since the services are a little cheaper than usual, there are some other things that are different than the average vet's office. For instance, the vets rotate - you don't necessarily get the same vet each time you go. I've liked each vet we've seen over the course of 3 years. Today's vet isn't one of the regulars - I guess he's like a substitute or moonlighting at this clinic. He was not social at all. I mean, how could you resist a cute little dog who wags his tail and gets excited when you walk into a room? This vet didn't even crack a smile.

-The vet kept discouraging us from getting the test done. Yes, the test is very expensive and follow-up vaccines can add up too, but I want to know what's causing Gunnar to be having all the symptoms he's having. I had to tell this guy numerous times that I wanted the test done. Yes, I tried medicine. Yes, I tried an elimination diet. Yes, I've done all the traditional things, so now it's time to try something else. Just let him get the test - geez!

-After Gunnar had his blood drawn, we waited in the room (felt more like a freezer) for 45 minutes. They forgot about us. I ended up going out and asking if we were okay to check out. I could barely feel my toes and Gunnar was shivering.

-The bill was more than I was quoted over the phone. Go figure.

Now I have to wait a month to find out the results. They also told me that if he needs any vaccines after the results return, in order to treat him, they would be very costly. To be honest - I don't care - whatever will make Gunns feel better. Plus, now I will know what's causing him to be itchy, sneezy, gaggy, and watery (eyes, that is) - ha ha, this makes me think of the seven dwarfs. Imagine if they were named after medical symptoms.....sneezy, itchy, runny, smelly, scabby, bloody.....I'll stop now, it's getting gross.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    sounds like that guy is in the wrong profession! hope gunnar feels better! daisy is doing better this season. last season i did the elimination diet (duck and potato) but she was still itchy. So it's definitely allergies in the environment and not food. But she's not chewing her arms which was her initial issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so not cool. I'm sorry your vet trip was so disappointing! And how could anyone not LOVE Gunnar, he must be the most affectionate dog I've ever met. What a scrooge the vet was!

    ReplyDelete