10 May 2006

The Mommycomic

Last night, Noa and I joined some of his work colleagues for a night of drinks and laughs at the Comedy Zone in Mandarin. The featured comic for the evening was Debbie Gutierrez, also known as the "Mommycomic," since her act focuses on her life as a wife and mother. She also referred to herself as the "Naughty Mommy comic" because she says what moms would say if they could get away with it. She was pretty funny and didn't go for the cheap jokes that most comics seem to do nowadays.
Anyway, it seemed that I had a beacon over my head because within the first five minutes of her act, she zoned in on me as part of her program. Looking at me she asked, "Are you a mommy?"
I replied, "No" (it just so happened that she asked me this as I finished shoving a heaping nacho into my mouth - figures...).
She continues, "What's your name?" (also, this was in a crowd of at least 100 people or more).
Me: "Julie"
She continues to ask me my age and then repeats them each time she asks me a question or referring to me in her act. "Well Julie, [my age*], are you planning on having kids?!"
Me: "Um, yeah - someday."
Her: "NO! Wrong answer - here's why you don't want to have kids..." and the act goes on from there.
She continues to use me in this public "conversation" about kids, underwear, boobs, and birth control. This part of the act finished as she shouted for me to take a whole month's worth of birth control pills right then and there. It was pretty funny - and a little embarrassing too.
So, even though I will be a target of discussion for Noa at work today, it was a fun evening and a good show. I'm glad we went. However, next time, I'm sitting farther back.**





*Kept this off the post since this is the WWW and who knows what kind of oddballs and creeps lurk around - I gotta keep some things a secret.
**Not that I was sitting in the front row. We were actually off to the side, but somehow, she found me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:06 PM

    That is a funny story, Ju! It's an audience members worst nightmare. I'm sure you were an excellent sport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd actually logged on here to see if you'd written up a briefing on your time spent with 'The Groganite'.
    Sounds like you had a good time at the Comedy Zone. That's where I saw Tommy Chong for a great show. A lot of years ago, with my first wife, I saw Eddie Griffin there. He's the guy from Undercover Brother, that crappy movie with with Denise Richards.
    I'll be checking back for the Marley Event coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Too funny Julie!! I would have loved to have been there to have seen your face when she zoned in on you!! Sounds like you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete