06 June 2006

A Long Awaited Sandal Death




Noa has this strange habit of acquiring sandals and wearing them into the ground. He used to have these old brown sandals that strongly resembled the sandals I saw old men wear at the retirement facility where I used to work (the old mean would wear them with white socks, of course). You know the ones - they look like they came from Walgreens for $3.99 and even have the little toe slots carved into the thick plastic. Anyway, they were hideous and after awhile I couldn't take it anymore. I told him that they had to go. We'd get him some much cooler sandals that he could loaf around in.
So, he acquired some sporty sandals made by Adidas. I didn't mind these at all and Noa wore them everywhere - with and without socks - I think he even wore them to church. He basically lived in these things. However, with so much use, these sandals were looking pretty worn. You can't really tell from the photo above, but the coloring was starting to crack and peel off, they had been chewed up several times by Gunnar and were wearing down on the sides. They kinda looked like something you'd find in the garbage - something someone threw away or something worn on the feet of a homeless man with no other footwear options. But Noa hung on to them and would not throw them away no matter how much I protested (can I help it if I want him to look good?).
Well, last night we had a mini-date night and while I was gulping down a Steak N Shake double chocolate chip shake Noa said, "hey let's run over to the Adidas outlet in St. Augustine and pick up some new sandals." Oh yeah, right out of the blue he brings this up. I'm still not sure why. Maybe he was trying to trying to win bonus points with me. Maybe he's trying to spruce up for our imminent move. Maybe he felt like shopping - okay, I know that's not the case. I don't know why - but I was all for it. An hour later we left the store with some fresh, new Adidas sandals, a new visor for him, and some sandals for me (which will be great for the boats when we go scuba diving in Oki!). Tonight, Noa said some last words to the sandals and then we gently lifted them into their casket (our trash bag) and laid them to rest (in the dumpster) forever. Now his feet no longer resemble those of a homeless wanderer.


R.I.P. Adidas sandals. Noa may miss you, but I sure won't. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss, Noa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two brands for Noa... Reef and Flojos. Never been disappointed by either.

    http://reef.com/products/guys/footwear/sandals

    http://flojos.com

    ReplyDelete