06 November 2006

Halloween, Part II - Murder Mystery

Have you ever heard of a murder mystery dinner? It's a game in which you are assigned a character role to play. The game is played around a theme and a recent murder (fictional). The players have to figure out who commited the murder from the characters involved in the game. While playing, food is served and people are supposed to mingle as their specific character trying to get information and clues.

So, I've always wanted to play one of these and the Saturday before Halloween, I finally got my chance. Noa, Joe, Meg and I signed up for our first murder mystery. It had a bizarre theme: the Immortals Halloween Ball. Basically, our characters were considered immortal and lived in a parrallel existance with mortals. The immortals are all part of different families or clans. I was a Mage, which was made up of medeval characters. I played Guenevere (who turned out to be disliked by most of the other characters). In another group, Noa was the prince of the vampires (who dressed as a vampire dressed in an Elvis costume - it was a costume ball after all), named Prince Allendro and Meghan played the part of his scion, or basically servant/follower, named Cynthia. Joe was part of a different family, which comprised of different characters from ancient Egypt. His name was Anubis and he was the loyal son of Isis. Here's our group photo:


It was an interesting night. It took awhile for the game to take off. The key to it all is to talk to people; see what they know and try to get information about the murder. During the event you get to eat and drink (no alcohol though) all you wanted, but throughout the game, clues were hidden and characters were "killed" off. I was one of the unfortunate few and then I became an investigator (lame-o). We never did figure out who the killer was until it was revealed to us at the end. If I was to do it again, I would have stepped it up a notch, since the game seemed to end just as it was getting good and people were getting into character.

All in all it was fun and strange all at the same time. We're thinking that it would be fun to host one ourselves sometime. Here Noa and I pose by some of the decorations from the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment