Okinawans love small dogs. Mostly, I see dachshunds, poodles, and shiba inus around town. Occasionally, I'll be surprised to find a local Okinawan walking a golden retriever or a rottweiler, but this is definitely the minority. It's mostly the Americans who, along with their large furniture, families, and vehicles, usually bring large breed dogs to the island. And even though I own 2 of the greatest* toy dogs in the world, my heart has always been with large breeds. I plan to someday adopt a big black dog to add to my pack.
So, you'll imagine my delight at finding this beauty the other night while walking by some restaurants and bars along the seawall with Noa, Meghan, and Joe:
The owners of this Bernese beauty also own a small Oki mutt and a mini Schnauzer. This pack of dogs "hang out" at the bar where the owners work. After talking with them a little, they invited me to bring my own pups to the bar for a meet up. So, it looks like in the near future I'll be bringing my dogs for a playdate at a bar. How crazy is that?!
*Obviously, this is my opinion, but if anyone has met them, you know friendly and loving both Sadie and Gunnar can be.
Oh, Julie. That Bernese is so gorgeous!!! Tom and I have always wanted one. I think they are so beautiful! He/she looks so friendly!!
ReplyDeleteHey, I think your dogs are pretty darn cute, and I've never even met them. I'm sure if I got to hang out with them, I'd be in love just like you are :)
Great post!!
I love him! He's so cute and fuzzy!!
ReplyDeleteYou never know where a great community might spring up...Love the post!
ReplyDeleteHey, you changed the template of your blog...
ReplyDeleteI'm terrified to do that because I'm afraid I'll lose all of my old stuff.
Looks like you didn't?
Not 2 OF the greatest toy dogs, but THE 2 greatest!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are taking the pups to a bar!!!
Akmed Von Rottweiler
Matt and I love Bernese Moutain Dogs! They look like big bears and you can't help but want to hug them.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see Akmed is back making comments. You've been missed.
ReplyDeleteHi there! I found you through Traci Yau's blog.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I share you love of big black dogs. I had a Newfie for a about a year and half and then my husband's job unexpectedly took us from Idaho to Texas. We had to find her a new home because she would have been absolutely miserable down here. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I still miss her and it's been 6 months.
I hope someday you'll be able to own a big black dog because they rule (and drool!).