15 April 2010

Sink Stink & 100 Yen Fun

So our kitchen is lacking in a few things that I used to have in the states, such as a garbage disposal. In fact, most sinks here have a little mesh catch-all, or strainer, that collects little food pieces and other grimy gunk off the dirty dishes. Here's our sink drain on a regular day:

Remove the top part, and wallah - the metal sink strainer inside:
Since we also don't have a dishwasher, all of our dishes are washed by hand and, I'll admit that we aren't always the best about scraping them off. So, this strainer gets YUCKY super fast. It's a horrible chore to have to clean this it. So, what to do...? We (actually Noa had this brainiac idea) go to the 100 Yen store and pick up these nifty little things:

Simply snap these puppies over the metal sink strainer and presto! Our cleaning worries go down the drain (no pun intended).

Then, put the top on and you don't even notice it.



Tonight when Noa was doing the dishes, he simply lifted the used, food-encrusted net out and into the trash. The sink strainer was still clean and the net was easily replaced.
Hooray for 100 Yen!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! That's a great way to spend 100 yen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon Pere6:43 PM

    Wallah???? Who taught you French - Ali Babba and his French waiter? Here's a tip: Voila!
    Sorry to be such a Dad, but all I remember is, " It's not a warehouse, it's a ...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I miss 100 yen stores!!!! I wish I knew you didn't know the wonder of the net sink trap! We had been using those for years. Our mama-san introduced us to them...brilliant!
    Still no garbage disposals here in Germany...but no lovely sink traps either. I thought I didn't like them, but now I miss them. Fishing things out of the sinks here is much more difficult. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete