09 January 2012

Adventures in Cloth Diapering, Part 1

I've been interested in cloth diapering for years, long before I had my own child.  They've come a long way since I was a babe and the cost savings* won me over.  Plus, I'm always looking for ways to reduce our trash output (seriously, it's amazing how much trash one small family can generate!).

Although I have wanted to try this, it's still an intimidating undertaking.  It does require an initial investment and there are specific ways to launder them in order to keep the diapers in top shape.  So, I'm taking baby steps with this whole process and trying to be realistic.  For example, I know that I won't use cloth diapers 100% of the time.  I'm sure there will be times when disposables make sense, but I hope to make cloth our primary method of diapering.  

Last Friday, I went with my friend Amy (who's expecting her own little one in a couple of months) to a specialty cloth diaper shop in downtown Olympia called Simple Cloth.  After spending about 3 hours in there and asking the sales lady about a million questions, Amy and I both walked out with bags of diapers.  I decided to try several different kinds of pocket diapers: bumGenius, Thirsties (size 1, duo diaper), and Fuzzibunz (perfect sized).  I also picked up one cover (Flip) with three inserts and ordered some all-in-ones from bumGenius.

So, today was day one and Ruby seemed intrigued. Here she is modeling her Bum Genius 4.0 one size pocket diaper, which is a little puffy for her skinny little self, but she'll grow into it.  

First, she's happy...


Then, she decided to give her best Elvis impression.  


And then, she just wasn't sure about the whole diaper situation after all.


But I think we'll make it.


I'll keep the blog updated on our progress in a few weeks.  For now, I'm staying hopeful and positive and reading about a gazillion cloth diaper websites in my "free" time.



On a random note, don't you just love how her hair is sticking up?!  




No comments:

Post a Comment