My first Mother's Day was fantastic. Although Noa had to work in the morning, I awoke to some beautiful flowers, a card, and a happy baby (well, happy once she was fed!). I received a bunch of text messages and Facebook notes wishing me a happy first Mother's Day, which was a fun way to start the day. Plus, it was absolutely beautiful outside - the sun was shining and it was in the 70s - a wonderful gift for western Washington!
Noa was unexpectedly able to leave work early and join us for church. During the service, I was given a rose for being a new mom. Afterwards, I wanted to get a photo of me with Ruby and the rose, but I had to keep it far away from her since she decided it looked like a teething treat. She didn't like that I was taking her "teething" toy away. Guess she decided to try her fingers instead.
Afterwards, we had a casual lunch of pizza and beer at home (one of my favs on a hot, sunny day), naps, and family hang out time. I love spending time with my little family, especially on beautiful weekend days. It doesn't get much better than this.
I love being a mom, more than I ever would have imagined. At the same time, it is terrifying. I am now responsible for this little person. I'm constantly questioning myself and praying that I make choices for Ruby that will impact her life positively. I'm learning to let go of imperfections and realize that I don't have full control anymore. Ruby is her own person and doesn't always do or act how I would like her to. At the same time, watching Ruby grow and become a person is truly joyous and she is constantly amazing us with her newfound skills. It is a delight that both Noa and I share. When I was pregnant, I was worried about the changes that would take place in our marriage once we became "mom and dad," but I can see now, that although there are changes, they are for the better. Ruby has brought us closer together. She is a gift in so many ways.
I am incredibly grateful for having such a strong, capable, and loving mother (love you, mom!). Now that I am a mom, I depend so much on the advice and support of both my mom and Noa's mom. They have been invaluable each step of the way in learning how to raise a daughter. I hope that I can raise her as gracefully as they have raised their children.
Wow. I completely got off topic there....the rest of Mother's Day was spent with good friends. We went to one of my favorite places, the dog park, where we got to hang out with another mommy friend, Amy, her hubs, Daniel, and their new little addition, Ben. The dads took over baby duty while we supervised the dogs in the play area.
Ruby and Daddy
Noa and Daniel with the kiddos
Our doggie troop: Charlie (the dachshund), Gunnar, Sadie, and Roger (the Corgie/Shepherd mix)
Afterwards, we headed back to our place to grill up dinner and hang out. The dogs played in the backyard, while the we ogled over Ben (Ruby went to bed pretty much as soon as we got home), caught some NBA playoff action on TV, and chatted.
Ben loved the playmat and was making faces in the mirror, staring at the toys, and enjoying having mom nearby.
Trying to get a picture of the dogs was pretty hilarious since they had no idea what I was trying to do - having some treats on hand helped the process. I'm glad they had a little playdate; we've been meaning to get them together for awhile. I think they had a blast careening through the yard with each other as the sun was setting.
It was a perfect way to celebrate my first Mother's Day with lots of my favorite things. I'm so proud to be a mom, especially to such a sweet little peanut. I'm already excited to celebrate again next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment