
School has been better over the past couple of days - a nice improvement from day one. Part of the success has been due to the introduction of "the clip." This behavior modification technique was provided to me by the other kindergarten teachers. Here's how it works: a child is doing something they are not supposed to be doing, such as talking when the teacher is talking. I remind the student that they are not supposed to be doing this and the student stops talking. If the student starts talking again while I am, then I prompty give the child a clip, which is a clothespin that is put on his/her shirt sleeve.
This physical attachment usually brings on a change of behavior. The way a student gets to have the clip removed (in my class) is to begin showing good behavior, such as following directions, listening, keeping their hands to themselves. It works - I've seen a real improvement in their behavior overall. Now, if one of my students begins to to something they shouldn't be doing, I only have to start to remove a clip from my lanyard (where I keep them) and the behavior instantly improves.
Next week, I'll be introducing a more positive incentive; the kids get to work together to receive "brownies" (paper ones). I cut out paper brownies and put a magnetic backing on them. After a special (gym, culture, art, music) or recess, I decide if their behavior warrants the class earning a "brownie." When the tray is full, they get to have a brownie party. Who can resist that?!
You are such a great teacher. Wish I could be a fly on the wall, watching you with your kiddos. Miss you - when are we going to chat again?!
ReplyDeleteYour mother sometimes puts a clothespin on her nose, but I don't think it's because of her bad behavior. Maybe I'll suggest she put it on my shirt, instead. I'm not allowed to have brownies, could I have a Reeses Peanut Butter cup, instead?
ReplyDelete