07 August 2006

First Visit


Today I got to go to my new school, Kinser Elementary, where I met some of the staff and see my classroom for the first time. I have to say, I was quite impressed with the school overall. The outside of the building does not look like much, but the school offers quite a lot. All the technology is up-to-date; in fact, the school has computers for every 1.3 students. They also offer music (complete with a music lab), gym (indoor and outdoor facilties), art (they even have a kiln!), and culture (Japanese, of course). My classroom is huge - much larger than I expected. The windows face the ocean, so we have an amazing view, the classroom has 4 computers all hooked up to the internet, there's enough space for lots of centers (such as writing, blocks, creative play, etc), a full kitchen, and the kids get their own bathrooms in the classroom. I was told that they provide whatever materials we need and I got to check out the supply room, which was full of paper, markers, a laminating machine, a die cut machine - the works! I can't believe all the stuff that's already provided. I'll have a lot to do in the next couple of weeks before school starts, especially since the other 2 kindergarten teachers already have their rooms set-up. Once I get it all set up, I'll post pics. For now, you'll have to settle for a photo of the outside of the school.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:04 AM

    Sounds like you're diving into life in Oki head first! Are you going to be teaching kindergarten? Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:39 AM

    I heard some of the best education is done at"base schools" and I wasn't surpised to hear that you were so well equipped with supplies.
    It really sounds exciting and it it looks like the Lord is BLESSING you Julie with all sorts of good things!
    Praying for you,love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute school. And even cooler that you face the ocean!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:50 PM

    Hey Julie,

    You are really good at updating your blog.

    Sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns and settling in.

    Keep up the good work. Just wanted to let you know I was lurking out here :-)

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats my friend! I'm glad there are these little pieces of happiness that you can find.

    ReplyDelete