23 August 2006

Recipe for Disaster

Combine:
1 large classroom, located close to the water on a tropical island
1 hot and wet summer, due to the rainy season
assorted classroom items, such as posters, blocks, paper, toys, etc.

Mix well. DO NOT add air conditioning. Let sit.

What do you get?

MOLD!

Yes, folks, mold is now my new nemesis! My classroom (and all the others in the building) battle the mold growth on a daily basis. It's growing on the walls, on the toys, and the shelves. While moving my things to a new room and working on the room layout, we've had to clean every surface in order to kill and combat the mold that has lurked around over the summer. Thankfully, the classroom is eqiupped with a dehumidifier that we can use that throughout the year to keep the humidity down, but it will be a real challenge to combat this annoying fungus. I'm certain that I'll be developing some kind of illness due to the mold, but I'm told that that's life in Okinawa.

On the positive side, at least I have a naturally occuring science lesson continually in the making. There's one less lesson I'll need to prepare.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:07 AM

    Julie, mold is our friend. Mold makes penicillin. Mold makes my english muffins taste funny. Mold is the best joke your mother has about me. The trick is, if you can't smell it, it can't be that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:17 AM

    Funny related story...Julie and I just realized that, for the past week, when we thought we had the "dehumidifier" running in hour apartment, we were actually running the "heat!" Sometimes, we'd be running the a/c in some rooms and the heat in other rooms thinking we were cooling and dehumidifying. Crazy Kanji learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need some bleach from moldy Florida??? I'll send some over with the pups!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some typical MOM advice...keep a fan going..it helps..Trish

    ReplyDelete